Last Updated on May 1, 2023
RVs are the perfect way to explore the great outdoors while enjoying the comforts of home. However, keeping your RV clean and healthy is essential, including cleaning the shower door tracks. Neglecting these tracks can result in dangerous mold and bacteria buildup, which can harm your health.
Thankfully, this issue is easy to handle with just a few steps. Start by clearing away any dirt and debris in the area. Then, add some cleaning magic with an appropriate cleaning product, and give the tracks a good scrubbing until they shine. Then, dry them off for maximum sparkle effect.
Read on for a comprehensive guide that will help bring out their sparkle.
How to Clean RV Shower Door Tracks: A Step-By-Step Guide
Regular cleanings of the shower door tracks are a must to keep your RV up to snuff. Don’t forget: a little cleaning now can save headaches in the long run.
Essential Cleaning Supplies for the Job
You will need some essential cleaning supplies to clean your RV shower door tracks effectively. Here is a list of the essential cleaning supplies for the job:
- White vinegar: White vinegar is an excellent natural cleaner that can help dissolve soap scum and mineral buildup in your shower door tracks. It’s also non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets.
- Baking soda: Baking soda is another natural cleaner that can help remove stubborn stains from your shower door tracks. It’s also great for deodorizing and absorbing odors.
- Old toothbrush: An old toothbrush is perfect for scrubbing the hard-to-reach areas of your shower door tracks.
- Microfiber cloth or sponge: A microfiber cloth or sponge is ideal for wiping down shower door tracks after cleaning them.
- Rubber gloves: Rubber gloves will protect your hands from any harsh chemicals in your cleaning solution.
- Bucket of warm water: You’ll need a bucket of warm water to rinse off the cleaning solution after scrubbing the shower door tracks.
Step 1: Prepare the Area
Before you start cleaning your RV shower door tracks, preparing the area is important. This will help ensure that the cleaning process goes smoothly and effectively.
Firstly, remove any items from the shower area that may get in the way during the cleaning process. This includes shampoo bottles, soap dishes, and other accessories. You want to have a clear view of the shower door tracks so that you can clean them thoroughly.
Next, lay down some towels or a drop cloth around the base of the shower to catch any water or debris that may fall during the cleaning process. This will make cleanup much easier once you’re finished.
Step 2: Remove Dirt and Debris from the Track
This is an important step because if left unchecked, dirt and debris can build up over time and cause the track to become clogged or damaged.
Substep 2.1: Brushing off Loose Debris
To make your RV shower door tracks shine, brush them well. Using a toothbrush or soft-bristled scrub brush is the key to getting rid of any debris that may have been caught in between and otherwise hard-to-reach spots.
Using a brush with soft bristles is important to not scratch or damage the track’s surface. You can also use a dry cloth to wipe away any debris that may be stuck to the track.
Substep 2.2: Vacuuming out the Track
This process helps to remove any debris or particles that may have been left behind after brushing off loose debris.
To start, you will need a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool attachment. The crevice tool is designed to fit into tight spaces and can easily reach the corners and edges of the track.
Begin by attaching the crevice tool to your vacuum cleaner and turning it on. Next, place the nozzle of the crevice tool at one end of the track and slowly move it along the length of the track. Be sure to apply enough pressure so that the nozzle can pick up any dirt or debris that may be stuck in the track.
Step 3: Applying Cleaner to the Track
Now that you have removed all the dirt and debris from the track, it’s time to apply a cleaner. This will help dissolve any soap scum or mineral buildup that may have accumulated over time.
Substep 3.1: Choosing a Suitable Cleaner for Your Tracks
When it comes to choosing a suitable cleaner for your RV shower door tracks, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First and foremost, you want to ensure the cleaner is safe to use on the material of your shower door tracks.
One option for cleaning your RV shower door tracks is to use a commercial cleaner specifically designed for this purpose. These cleaners can be found at most hardware or home improvement stores and are formulated to remove soap scum, mildew, and other buildups from your shower door tracks.
If you prefer a more natural approach, several DIY cleaners can get the job done. One popular option is a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Simply sprinkle baking soda onto the track, then spray with vinegar until it begins to foam.
Another natural option is using lemon juice as a cleaner. The acid in lemon juice can help break down soap scum and other buildups on your shower door tracks. Simply cut a lemon in half, rub it over the track’s surface, and then rinse with water.
Substep 3.2: Applying the Cleaner
To apply the cleaner, shake the bottle well and spray it directly onto the track. Be sure to cover the entire surface of the track with the cleaner. You can use a spray bottle or a sponge to apply the solution, depending on what you have available.
Once you have applied the cleaner, give it some time to penetrate any built-up dirt and grime. The amount of time you need to wait will depend on the specific cleaner you are using, so be sure to check the instructions on the label.
Step 4: Scrubbing and Wiping Down the Track
Once you have allowed the cleaner to penetrate and work on the track, it’s time to move on to scrubbing and wiping down.
Substep 4.1: Scrubbing the Track with a Brush
Scrubbing the track with a brush is essential when cleaning RV shower door tracks. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by dipping your brush into the cleaning solution you have chosen for your tracks. Make sure the bristles are well-saturated.
- Next, use the brush to scrub the track vigorously, paying close attention to areas where dirt or debris seems more stubborn.
- You may need to apply additional pressure in some areas to remove tough stains or buildup.
- Once you have finished scrubbing the entire track, rinse it thoroughly with water.
- Use a clean towel or cloth to wipe down the track and remove any excess water or residue.
- If still, some stubborn stains remain after this process, you can repeat the scrubbing step until they are completely removed.
Substep 4.2: Wiping Down Excess Water and Residue
After scrubbing the track, take a clean cloth or paper towel and wipe down any excess water or residue that may be left behind. This will help prevent water spots and ensure your shower door tracks are completely clean.
Maintaining the appearance and functionality of RV shower door tracks is important. It’s equally important to regularly maintain them to prevent buildup from occurring in the first place.
What Are the Reasons For Cleaning RV Shower Door Tracks?
Proper maintenance is essential to keep your RV running smoothly and ensure a comfortable living environment. Among many other areas in the RV, the bathroom demands special attention due to its frequent use and exposure to moisture.
1. Maintaining Overall Cleanliness of the RV Bathroom
When taking a shower in your RV, soap scum and dirt can easily build up in the shower door tracks. This can not only make sliding the door difficult, but it can also create unsightly stains and leave an unpleasant odor.
Regularly cleaning your RV bathroom will give you a pleasant, healthy living environment and keep it grime-free. Not to mention, having a squeaky clean restroom adds an extra element of comfort for anyone using the space.
2. Preventing Health Risks
Due to constant exposure to moisture, shower door tracks can be a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Mold spores can cause respiratory problems and aggravate allergies, which is particularly concerning in an RV due to limited space.
Maintaining a healthy living environment means preventing mold and mildew buildup. This can significantly reduce the risk of developing respiratory problems, especially for those with allergies or underlying health conditions.
3. Extending Lifespan and Saving Money
Proper maintenance can extend the lifespan of the shower door tracks in your RV. Regular cleaning can prevent costly repairs and replacements, saving you money in the long run. If you don’t maintain your tracks, dirt can build up, causing the tracks to wear out or break.
You can extend the life of your shower door tracks and avoid avoidable expenses by investing a little in maintenance.
How to Maintain Clean RV Shower Door Tracks?
For clean RV shower door tracks, there are several tips that you can follow. Doing so can prevent future buildup and ensure your RV’s shower remains in good condition.
- Wipe down the shower after each use: This is one of the easiest ways to prevent shower door track buildup. After each use, wipe down the shower with a squeegee or towel to remove any excess water or soap residue.
- Use a daily shower cleaner: Using a daily shower cleaner can help prevent soap scum and mineral accumulation in RV shower door tracks.
- Simply spray the cleaner on the walls and floor of your shower after each use and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
- Clean the tracks regularly: It’s important to clean your RV shower door regularly to prevent buildup. Follow the steps outlined in this article to remove any debris or buildup from the tracks.
- Use vinegar or baking soda: If you prefer natural cleaning solutions, vinegar and baking soda are great options for cleaning RV shower door tracks. Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the tracks, then scrub with a toothbrush or sponge.
- Keep moisture levels low: Moisture is one of the main culprits of buildup in RV shower door tracks. To keep moisture levels low, ensure your bathroom is well-ventilated by opening windows or using an exhaust fan.
Tips to Prevent Future Buildup in Your RV Shower Door Tracks
Keeping your RV shower door tracks pristine is essential for both hygiene and prevention. Taking proactive steps to minimize future buildup will help ensure a clean and healthy environment.
Here are some tips for maintaining clean RV shower door tracks:
- Use a Squeegee: After every shower, use a squeegee to remove excess water from the shower door and track. This will prevent water from accumulating and forming hard-to-remove buildup.
- Dry the Shower Area: Dry the shower area after each use. You can use a towel or a microfiber cloth to wipe down the surfaces, including the shower door tracks.
- Use Vinegar Solution: You can use a vinegar solution regularly to prevent mineral deposits from building up in your RV shower door tracks. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water, apply it to the tracks using a spray bottle, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Apply Lubricant: Applying lubricants such as silicone spray or WD-40 on your RV shower door tracks can help reduce friction and prevent buildup.
- Regular Maintenance: Make it a habit to inspect your RV shower door regularly and tracks for any signs of buildup or damage. If you notice any issues, address them promptly before they become more severe.
Is It Possible to Use a Steamer With Shower Door Tracks?
Keeping shower door tracks clean can be challenging, and cleaning them regularly is essential for hygiene and appearance. Using a steamer is one eco-friendly and effective way to clean and sanitize shower door tracks. However, safety measures must be taken to avoid potential injuries or damage to the tracks.
Following the manufacturer’s instructions and using the necessary tools such as cloths, toothbrushes, and plastic putty knives are essential steps in ensuring a successful clean. Removing all dirt and residue before using the steamer is also critical, as build-up could result in permanent damage.
Finally, when using any tool on or near the tracks, care must be taken to prevent scratches or other wear and tear. Taking these precautions ensures your shower door tracks are clean, refreshed, and lasting longer.
Keep Your Shower Door Tracks Clean for Optimal Performance
Owning an RV can be an enriching experience, allowing you to explore the world while retaining the comforts of home. However, with this ownership comes the responsibility of regular maintenance. Every nook and cranny needs to be kept looking and working its best, especially the shower door tracks.
Accumulating debris and mold can cause unsightly stains and pose health risks. Fortunately, keeping those tracks spotless isn’t complicated. Keep your RV’s shower door tracks clean and functional by regularly squeegeeing, drying thoroughly, cleaning, and lubricating them.
After all, every owner’s dream is an RV that looks and operates like it just rolled off the dealership lot. So be sure to keep up with the cleaning and maintenance of your RV shower door tracks, and enjoy happy trails ahead.